About the Commission
The Arnamagnaean Commission (Den Arnamagnæanske Kommission) was set up in 1772 as a governing body for the Arnamagnaean Foundation, the collection of manuscripts and printed books that Árni Magnússon bequeathed, along with his private estate, to the University of Copenhagen on his death in 1730.
By a royal decree of May 1986 the members of the Commission are to number five, consisting of the Rector of the University of Copenhagen (ex officio chairman), the Chief Librarian, now Director, of the Royal Library (ex officio), the Professor of Icelandic Language and Literature at the University of Copenhagen (ex officio), and two representatives appointed for a period of four years, one by the University of Copenhagen and one by the Ministry of Education. In addition, the University exercises supervision through two trustees.
The Commission receives an annual state grant for the publication of the two series Bibliotheca Arnamagnæana and Editiones Arnamagnæanæ. The editorial committee for the two series consists of all the academic members of staff at the Institute. On the recommendation of the Institute, the Commission appoints one member of this committee to act as coordinator for a period of three years. The Institute assigns an editor and a consultant to every project that is accepted for publication. The coordinator compiles budgets and publication schedules and organises the publication processes. Annette Lassen is appointed interim-coordinator as of January 2017.